Monday, November 24, 2008

Ring Ring Went the iPhone...It Was My Homie.
























So recently I made the big switch from a Blackberry to the much coveted iPhone. People always ask me if I think I made the right choice. Being a huge tech head, I am still very much on the fence about that. The iPhone is a great gadget, but sometimes I find that i miss the functionality of my Blackberry. Each phone is unique in its own way, so I decided to outline the differences between the two. I can't tell you which item to buy, but I can give you my opinion based on your functionality needs.

Looks
I'll start with looks because the body of the iPhone is what keeps me leaning towards the idea that I made the right decision. Even if the iPhone didn't have the sleek, bright, scratch-proof screen, the actual body is very minimalistic and comfortable to use. Like its line of computers, Apple took the great approach to design a phone with the least possible amount of exterior buttons for you to screw and scratch up. The phone is very "adult" on the exterior.

Functionality
Unlike with the Blackberry, the iPhone has to retrieve your emails at designated intrevals. I have my phone set to the minimum of every 15 minutes. I must admit that I miss recieveing my emails the instant that they hit my inbox. That is the joy of Blackberry that I wouldn't mind regaining in the future. However, if you are a person who gets tons of junk emails every 18 seconds, then maybe the fetching technology that the iPhone utilizes is for you. In addition, the internet browser on the iPhone is amazing. Its just like using a computer, minus the pop-ups and spyware.

Fun
Now when it comes to fun, the iPhone wins hands-down. Material from the App Store and iTunes are availble for direct download from the phone through 3G or Wi-Fi. And, if you're a cheapskate like me, there are a crapload of FREE applications!! Yes, Free!! I can say that I have never had fun with my Blackberry. Unless you count the trading of nude photos with that one guy that time but....ahem....moving on...

Price
The phone is $199 for the 8GB model or $299 for the 16GB model. However, what they don't tell you is that you MUST be eligible for an upgrade at the time of purchasing the phone. If you are not eligible for the upgrade you will be paying $399 and $499 for the phone. Is it worth it? maybe, if they will include an update in the future that will allow it to wash my clothes. Then yes. But if not, then I'd wait for upgrade eligibility.

What Its Missing
Now, the downsides. The iPhone does not support cut & paste, nor does it support MMS messaging. Yes, you heard me. The iPhone does not allow you to send or receive picture messages. However, there is a work-around. You can email pictures to cellular phones. Therefore, under my contact's entry in the phone book I add an number that says MMS. So if my friend is a T-Mobile customer it says 1234567890@tmomail.net. When I email a photo to this number, the picture goes directly to their phone as if I sent a regular MMS message. Each phone carrier has this feature, so MMS isn't really missing, its just a pain in the ass to ask everyone which company they're with. But, if you aren't a big picture messager, then you're probably not too worried about this. Another feature that the iPhone doesn't support is tethering. If you don't know what that is...then you're not missing out on anything.

Synopsis
All in all...both phones are really great phones. After writing all of that bull, I have to say that I still remain on the fence. Oh the trials of a schizophrenic.

No comments: