Saturday, December 20, 2008

Is This Bitch Carrie Pulling My Leg???

So everyone should know that I love love love Sex and the City. This weekend I decided to post up in front of my flat screen and binge on my box set of Carrie and the girls. Through the laughter, sex, couture and the tears a thought crossed my mind. Do shows such as Sex in the City provide us with a false sense of hope? I know that television is more or less for entertainment purposes. However, I am inclined to believe that these shows/movies are based on SOME actual experiences. With that in mind, do you think that television is altering the perception of our reality? Is it a damaging idea that our habitually non-progressive relationship may, at some point in time, produce our "Mr. Big"? Or does the story of happily ever-after-you-make-it-through-the-seventh-year-of-your-dysfunctional-relationship provide a glint of hope to an obviously non-functional dating world?

Am a correct in assuming that not only does she have me dressing like an idiot, but the bitch has also been screwing up my love life?

Let me know what you think!

4 comments:

Sartorially Savvy said...

Well, according to Michael Patrick King the who wrote the majority of the series, every episode and even some of the events in the move occurred in real life, that being said, it IS television, so I'm sure some liberty was taken. I'm a believer in the fact that we make shape our own destinies, sure some things are fated to be, others we make happen, seize opportunities and create circumstances, so if a happy ending w/ "Mr. Big" is what you desire then you put yourself in situations for it to happen and do your best to make your dream come true as you would with anything else...

rawdawgbuffalo said...

y i dont watch tv or own one

rawdawgbuffalo said...

and do chk me out one day if u can rawdawgbuffalo

Resoxturize said...

Do shows such as Sex in the City provide us with a false sense of hope?

Uhhhh... yeah. It all stems back to Barbie and her Dreamhouse. Fantasies keep women engaged and engagement sell's tie-in's and have you living/being the brand. Just in this entry alone you mentioned the box set and I wouldn't be surprised if you've sipped on a Sex in the City inspired drink or 2 before, but that's cool. It's all in the branding. But not to drag off topic too far I'm not sure just how far women get away from Movies, Television, or Songs(Put a ring on it)once the station is changed or the record stops playing. I hope you all don't compare and contrast your lives to fiction when in fact you got a million crazy ass girlfriends to do that against but I'd be suffice to believe that you still say What.Would.Carrie.Do, or Samantha or any of the other ones you could most relate too when the going gets rough. Is it a set up - YES Will it impact your potential relationship- OH yes Will he be understanding and willing to breakdown, with you, why you believe you are entitled to what you believe to be entitled to - FUCK NAH. He gon go back to the B.E.T hoe and get this thing-a-ling wet.

TRUTH