Friday, June 5, 2009

Is This Really Still Happening in 2009?

On several occasions we've visited a store that will remain nameless at this time. On each visit we've been somewhat discriminated against by one of their representatives. Initially, she seemed as though she didn't want to help us. Then, of course, when we started touching the cosmetics she rushed to help. Usually I visit the store when I'm with one of the other CocktailOur ladies, but this time I went alone. Naturally, the representative follows me around with no intention of assisting me. After deciding on my purchase I go to check out and who do you think rings me up? You guessed it! Not only is the chic rude, but she has the nerve to ask "do you need a bag?" WTF do you think? Yes I need a bag skank. She proceeds to ring me up, give me my receipt and slide me my bag. Of course she didn't say thanks for shopping...have a nice day, nor did she offer me my samples that I'm supposed to receive since I am a frequent shopper. All I got was the straight up stank face.


You know what really ticked me off about this chick?...

She appearently didn't want to help either of us, but she seemed more inclined to help my lighter-skinned friend than me. Imagine me looking for a nice tinted moisturizer with my lighter skinned friend. Imagine her not wanting to help us, but doing so for whatever reason. Imagine me attempting to pick up the moisturizer and her telling me that the brand doesn't make any "that dark"...Now imagine her turning to my lighter-skinned friend and saying "I'm wearing this item right now, I really like it"...

Yes yes yall! The bitch is black. Not only is she black, but she's not far from my complexion.

In this day and age are we still suffering from colorism? It's bad enough that we have to deal with it from outside sources, but really! From you too? You're not even mulatto. You're regular, everyday black. Get your life together ma'am. Is this a problem that you guys run into? Why do we treat one another so bad?

4 comments:

TheBlackMamba said...

LOL @ "regular everyday Black". That'd be me. But yes I do encounter that same problem. But I tend to walk out after loudly announcing that their "customer service sucks". And being in customer service, from retail to restaurants to the bank, I KNOW what good customer service is all about and how to stand and deliver. I think it's a mixture of colorism and just plain discrimination because many shoplifters (esp in this area) tend to look like us. Sad but true. No it shouldn't happen but you know it still does and I think it will keep on keepin on. We haven't been through enough as it is as a people, we have to do it to each other as well. SMDH

Betterdaysahead said...

What I think you faced at this store was more of very bad customer service vs. discrimination. The reason why I say this because of my ten years of working experience in the field of customer service. From this story it sounds like this representative should not be working in customer service especially if she can’t appreciate or thank you for your business. Since your business is a reason why she still has a job and is not on the unemployment line which it sounds like she is not that far away from if she keep treating customers how she has treated you every time you have gone inside of this store. It also sounds like a company in which this representative works for doesn’t make customer service very important and especially with the way this country is going through this hard economic time, business should be doing everything possibly to make sure that each and every customer is treated with the up most respect and that the employees that they have working for them understands that the value of keeping customers business and also is ability to bring in more customers.

At the end of the day you have a couple of decision to make do you go in the store and talk to a manager about how you been treated by this representative(because clearly she is can not be a manager because she doesn't know how to values customers business), find another location where this store is located, or find another company that sells the same items you like buying and that also gives you the customer service that you are looking for. But at the end of the day when it comes to you spending your money you have to remember you have the power over these stores and if you speak about how you were treated to your friends news will spread and not only will this company lose your business but it will also lose the business of everyone your friends tell.

Now hopefully after reading my comments you understand this part I am not saying discrimination is something of the past because its not its something we had to deal with growing up and will be something we will continue to deal with for the rest of our lives unfortunately as it is. Reason why I think discrimination will also never disappear is because everyone acts, thinks, and respond differently to situation they face.

undressingHER said...

it's crazy that girls treat eachother like that. I must admit that I do find a lot of light-skin girls more attractive than dark-skinned women, but that doesn't make me treat them any different.

As someone else said, I think it's more about bad customer service though. She just didn't like you.

Barhynn said...

OMG! I'm sitting here reading and the whole time im envisioning a pale faces white woman, pearls, black blazer, and hair in a bun...Im hating her more and more as i read. Especially since its unsolicited racism seeing as though you didnt even as for assistance. To find out it was a brown girl...terrible. Ive unfortunately experienced this and its almost so sad that its funny. I get girls my same complexion and lighter that do it. My mother says its because of my beauty mark but its like damn...why cant we just compliment one another on the things we like and see in them that we dont have ourselves? Makes me sad!