Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Teach Your Kids It's Not A Dirty Word

The other day my friend mentioned to me that she was going on a date with a guy that she met. This should have been special because it was to be their first date and should have set the precedence for future dates. Should have...

Disclaimer: As many of you know, we have the strangest and most eclectic group of friends imaginable. With that said, please don't judge us based on this entry. Granted, I have my issues, but this isn't one of them. Lol...

I digress. So my friend decides that she wants to go to the movies for her first date with this man. Naturally, he gives her the opportunity to choose which movie she would like to see. Because she's such a sissy, this eliminated anything remotely scary; which left two movies. Of the two movies, the one that she wanted to see happened to be playing at the $2.50 movie theater. Great, saves money right? WRONG. This lady proceeds to call this man and tell him that he's going to have to take her to dinner before the movie to supplement the cheap ticket price. Huh? Look, I'm all for gold digging, but are we really at the point where there is no need to hide it anymore? Let me know so that I can stop pretending to pay for the first dates. Please. I could be using that money for more important things.

So here are my questions. Ladies, is there a minimum amount that you think a man should spend on a date? Specifically the first date. Men, what would you do if this trick...I mean lady, did this to you? Would you be offended?

5 comments:

Ms. ChelleBell said...

I think that he should spring for dinner, but maybe she could pay for the movie. That would've been the more tactful way to approach the subject

cocktailour said...

I don't think there is a minimum amount of money a man should spend as long as the effort is there. I want to see he put some thought into it, listened during our conversations and didn't just take me somewhere that was convenient. I don't promote gold diggin' but then again I'm rarely on the receiving in of monetary gifts so.. . .maybe I'm living my life all wrong!

Cocktail J said...

Get your life together CocktailOur... Make him cop the Lexus bubble, 2001 hun.

frenchkissez said...

Uhm, I agree with the first comment. . . she could've paid the $5.00 for the movie, especially since SHE picked it!

I don't ever expect a man to pay for anything . . . but that's only because I've been treated badly. LoL (smh, cuz it's true and not really funny ::sad face::)

Betterdaysahead said...

I must be a guy from the old school but I believe that a guy should be able to pay for everything for the first date especially if this is a lady he plans on keeping for a long time. Now I know times are difficult but she did save him money by wanting to go to a cheaper movie theater so money should not be a issue.

Cocktailour I would have to also agree with you because the guy should use the conversations they have had and include the things she like to do in either the first date or second date if the first one went good. I have also believed that using some of that information on the date will show the women that the guy really cares about their conversations and is willing to do anything to make a good first impression.