Friday, January 22, 2010

You Have New Follower Requests

In a low-activity job such as mine, Twitter, Facebook and blogging have become my new bff's. They keep me company, provide entertainment and often give me someone to interact with during my downtime. Naturally, we spend a good deal of time together. Unfortunately, in this digital age, I am not the only bff of the social medias. So what happens when our family, friends and sexual partners enter into our digital lives? How much is too much togetherness in the digital world?

More importantly, what do you do when an innocent friendship blossoms into more after you're already socially connected by the networks? How do you say, hey...I have to unfollow you because I can't bear to see what you and @ilickitgood24 are discussing? What is the proper way to say...I'm sorry, we can no longer be facebook friends because quite frankly...I don't want you in my business and I don't want to see yours?

I'm perplexed. Life is too complicated. Can't we just go back to the days of cans & strings? It was all so simple then.

3 comments:

Ms. ChelleBell said...

Girl I was thinking about the same damn thing! My ex is almost on stalker status. Hell, lemme be honest- he was almost on stalker status while we WERE together! Anywho, why should I have to restrain my true thoughts and feelings just because he may take it wrong?

Sartorially Savvy said...

I wholeheartedly agree!!! This is why I have my pending friends file!!! I don't need my pastor, or my mother's best friend, or my aunt, or worse than them all, some random stranger all in my online dealings. I'm good. This is exactly why I don't have the Twitter. My inner thoughts, are just that, mine, and w/BBM, text, and email at the tips of my fingers, I have enough outlets to share w/others whatever it is I want to say.

Traci Lavette said...

Seriously! I had to deactivate my FB at a point and rebuild LOL! Twitter...it's been on hiatus going on 4 months now and I have been contemplating opening it back up. You have me thinking now. What's a girl to do?

I think the whole 'close encounter' deal is inevitable. There does exist the possibility of finding a cyber buddy that becomes a buddy of the moment and when that moment is up, complications arise about how to deal with the aftermath of "who do we become to each other now?"

Hard to answer. But I do know that hearing and seeing the exchange between said person and another buddy of the moment, is not easy to take in.